The Freshers' Guide


Applicants | Current students

Applicants: Funding for Fees and Maintenance

One of the conditions of an offer from the University is financial: you must demonstrate that you have the money to pay your university and college fees and support yourself for the full duration of your course before you can take up your place.

Sidney Sussex offers a small number of awards and scholarships for postgraduate students, which are listed on the college's sscholarships, studentships and bursaries page. These provide a minimum of £1000 per annum, and up to full costs and fees at the home rate, according to need, and as of 2009 include:

  • Fox International Fellowship at Yale University
    Offers a period of up to a year spent at Yale University for graduating students or those in the middle of a PhD, in a variety of disciplines (not science)
  • Joyce Coutu Scholarship
    Scholarship for a North American female MBA student at Judge Business School
  • Howard Research Studentship
    Research studentship for PhD students in any subject and from any nationality
  • Evan Lewis-Thomas Law Bursaries and Studentships
    Available for graduate students in law-related subjects
  • Osborn Research Studentship
    PhD studentship for art history-related subjects

Full details are published in the Reporter (the journal of the university's official business) each year. If applying for one of these awards, you should still apply to the Board of Graduate Studies for your course in the usual way.

The dominant sources of funding for home students on research degrees are the Research Councils. Many awards are made directly by departments and faculties (especially in the sciences), and in many other cases applications are processed through them, so you should contact your faculty for more information. Some councils (e.g. the AHRC or ESRC) impose strict application deadlines (around the end of April).

All overseas and EU students can apply for funding from the Cambridge Trusts (including the Gates Cambridge Trust, the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, the Cambridge Overseas Trust and the Cambridge European Trust). This is administered centrally by the Board of Graduate Studies: you simply need to complete the appropriate sections of the application form. If you apply for an award from the Trusts, you will be automatically considered for any other awards they administer for which you are eligible.

The university and colleges provide or administer a variety of other scholarships and awards, which are advertised in a special issue of the Reporter, "Awards, Funds, Studentships, and Prizes", usually published in November.

Current Students: Additional Funds

Sidney graduate students can apply for money from a research fund to support additional research expenses, e.g. for attending conferences or visiting archives. These cannot be used to cover costs which should usually be met by departments, or for personal purchases such as books and computer equipment, and written support from your supervisor is required. PhD students can claim up to £500 per academic year, up to a course total of £1050, at any time. Students on research MPhil courses can apply for up to £350 during regularly advertised competitions.

Later in your studies you may also be eligible to apply for a college research fellowship. If a change of circumstances leaves you in unexpected financial difficulties, the college also has funds to help (but these cannot be relied upon as a primary source of funding). Please see the college's webpage for additional financial support.

Freshers' Guide last modified: 1 November 2017
This section last modified: 2 July 2012