MCR Computing

Network connections in college rooms

College provides network connections for most college rooms in the main site and Cromwell Court, and also in the college-owned houses on Portugal Street and Huntingdon Road (click here to see the full list). In all other houses, College supplies a wireless broadband router and students using this connection share the monthly cost of the broadband service (College covers the line connection fee).

In those rooms for which college provides a network connection, the main contact is the College Computer Officer, Patrick Gates. His office is in the computer suite above the library but he is often more conveniently contactable by e-mail: To use the network connection in your room you will need to use connection details (IP address and other settings) supplied by him - if you do not receive these please click here for full instructions (you might want to print a copy of that webpage before you arrive). There is also a webpage for Windows XP configuration. Unfortunately connection information is only available for Windows PCs, but the network connection should also work with Macs and on Linux or other operating systems. College makes a charge directly to your college bill for the use of network connections, which is currently £16 a term.

For college networked rooms you will need an Ethernet adapter. This is very often built in for laptops, and a little less commonly for desktops. If it is not built in, you will need to buy a separate adapter. This is likely to be called an Ethernet network adapter or something similar - it should ideally be 100Mbit/s capable (most are), in which case it is likely to say 10/100 somewhere. For desktop computers, you should choose a PCI network adapter; for laptops, suitable adapters usually say PC card, PCMCIA or Cardbus. The College is able to supply these at a competitive price. You will also need a network cable to connect your computer to the socket - this should have an RJ45 connector at each end, and the cable is usually called Cat 5 (you may also encounter enhanced versions, e.g. Cat 5e, which are also fine but generally more expensive). An illustration of an RJ45 socket is included in the college network instructions.

For rooms in hostels using broadband sharing facilities, you will need a wireless networking adapter, preferably 802.11g compatible - before making any purchase, you should first consult Pat Gates.

Computing information last modified by SP on 13 October 2009